Hamburg striker Ransford Konichtdorf will leave the club this summer after his contract expires, and his next destination is Mainz.
2026-05-21 16:21
Hamburg officially announced on Wednesday that 24-year-old Ransford Koenigsdorf will leave the club this summer when his contract expires. He has also confirmed that he will join Mainz 05 as a free agent; the length of his contract has not yet been disclosed.
Konićdoff primarily plays as a center forward, but can also play as a right winger, left winger, right midfielder, and attacking midfielder. He spent the first three seasons of his professional career at Dynamo Dresden before joining Hamburg in July 2020 for €1.4 million.
To date, Koenigsdorf has made 138 appearances for Hamburg, scoring 33 goals and providing 9 assists. He is also considered one of the key contributors to Hamburg's promotion to the Bundesliga and their successful survival in the top flight.
Hamburg's sporting director, Klaus Costa, expressed deep regret over Königsdoff's departure. In a statement, he said, "Reims came from Dresden and steadily improved over the next four years, ultimately helping us gain promotion to the Bundesliga. His goals and assists played a crucial role in Hamburg's promotion and subsequent survival in the Bundesliga."
“We had hoped to renew his contract, but he chose to take on new challenges – we have to accept his decision. We wish Lance all the best for the future and look forward to seeing him again next season.”
Despite being pursued by clubs such as RB Leipzig, Nice, and Middlesbrough, Ransford Konišdorf ultimately chose to join Mainz. Mainz's sporting director, Nico Bungert, commented: "Ransford Konišdorf is a fast and physically gifted striker whose playing style is perfectly suited to our attacking system. He has played in almost every official match over the past few seasons and has become a regular starter in the Bundesliga. At 24 years old, Ransford is in his prime, and we are very pleased to have convinced him to begin a new chapter in his career at Mainz 05."
Koenigsdorf himself said: "I am very much looking forward to the new challenges in Mainz. This meeting has given me a clear understanding of the plans the coach and the club have for me, and I am convinced of them. So far, I have also had a very good impression of the city and the surrounding area. It feels great to be here."
Image source: Internet/Mainz 05 official website
Sports News
More News
-
2026-05-21 12:35