Dutch referee Rob Dieperink has been removed from his officiating duties at the World Cup following allegations of sexually assaulting an underage boy..
2026-05-23 14:36
The Athletic exclusively reported on Friday that Dutch referee Rob Dieperink has been removed from his officiating duties at the 2026 FIFA World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico following allegations of sexually assaulting an underage boy.
According to the report, Dieperink had been selected as one of the VAR assistant referees for the upcoming 2026 FIFA World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico, but this arrangement was recently withdrawn following allegations of his involvement in sexual assault against a minor in the UK.
The report indicates that Dieperink was accused of sexually assaulting an underage boy in April 2026 and was under investigation by the London Metropolitan Police. The incident was recently exposed by the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.
The Athletic later contacted the police and received confirmation from a spokesperson. The spokesperson said that police responded immediately after receiving a report and arrested a man in his 30s at an address on Wellesley Road in Croydon.
Police subsequently exhausted all possible methods and leads in their investigation, including collecting CCTV footage and records from all digital devices, but none of these met the "standard threshold for filing a case," ultimately leading to the decision to "not take further action."
A spokesperson for the Dutch Football Association (KNVB) said in an interview that, based on the presumption of innocence, the authorities will continue to fully support Dieperink for the time being.
Furthermore, Dieperink, in an interview with De Telegraaf, confirmed the police spokesperson's statement, saying he would not be prosecuted and expressing his disappointment at not being able to officiate at the World Cup.
He said, "I am deeply saddened by the injustice I have been wrongly accused of. I fully cooperated with the police investigation and immediately informed FIFA, UEFA, and the KNVB."
"Following a thorough police investigation, the charges were dismissed, and the case was dropped within two weeks."
"I thank the KNVB for their support and the way they handled the case. FIFA's decision not to appoint me for the World Cup is, of course, disappointing."
However, due to the seriousness of the allegations and the sensitive timing, FIFA decided to remove Dieperink from his officiating duties at this summer's World Cup.
Currently, his position has been filled by French referee Willy Delajod.
Image source: Internet / The Athletic
Sports News
-
2026-05-23 11:43
More News
-
2026-05-23 11:43